INDIANAPOLIS – As Michael Phelps tweeted photos of his dogs -- Herman wearing sunglasses and Stella looking pretty – a pretty big race was going on without him for the first time since 1998.
At the world championship trials on Wednesday, the Phelps comeback talk continued. His longtime coach Bob Bowman said he would support a run at the 2016 Olympics if Phelps is fully committed.
"There's a part of me that wants him to come back if he's going to do it the right way," Bowman said. "We did not do the last four years the right way and even though it ended up OK it could have been way better and we all know that. I think the end result was fine, but the process was so painful and I don't want to do that again. And I'm sure he doesn't want to do it again."
Competing in the 2015 world championships in Kazan, Russia, would be the goal if Phelps is serious about an Olympic comeback, Bowman said. USA Swimming will select its 2015 world team a year earlier at its national championships, which run from Aug. 6-10, 2014 in Irvine, Calif. Phelps would have to be in the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's drug testing pool six months prior to competition.
If Phelps does decide to return, it will because he is so goal-driven. "If he does come back that will be the reason," Bowman said. "He just feels he needs direction and he's so goal oriented when he doesn't have one … Yes, I could definitely see that."
So that would mean that Phelps needs to get serious when?
"He would need to get serious tomorrow in my book but that's just me," Bowman said with a laugh.
When reports about a Phelps return picked up speed this spring, Bowman said this was the text conversation that ensued as result.
"What's this about this comeback?"
"I know it's pretty funny, right?"
"Are you in Colorado right now and I don't know it?"
"No, I'm not."
"OK good."
At dinner a few months ago, Bowman and Phelps talked generally about the issue. "I think he knows he can do it if he wants to and I will support him if he does it the right way," Bowman said. "But if he doesn't do it the right way I will do everything in my power to not have anything happen."
Though the most decorated Olympian of all time was busy frolicking with his pooches, he continued to be a focal point at the national championships.
University of North Carolina swimmer Tom Luchsinger stunned the 200 butterfly field, dropping his personal best by 1½ seconds on Tuesday to win the event. He was still dripping with water when he was asked about Phelps.
Luchsinger said it was an honor to win an event that Phelps dominated for so long. ------------------- USA TODAY