Pages

bet365

Friday 11 October 2013

Sunderland's new manager Gus Poyet promises supporters a team to be proud of



Sunderland's new manager Gus Poyet promises supporters a team to be proud of

"The fans will die for the club. They love their club, they are mad and I love that - we need to give them something"
Barmy army: Poyet identifies with Sunderland's "mad" supporters
Barmy army: Poyet identifies with Sunderland's "mad" supporters
safc.com
Gus Poyet has admitted Sunderland's "mad" fans will be his motivation.
The Black Cats' new head coach says the first thought he had of Sunderland as an outsider was the noise and passion generated at the Stadium of Light.
Poyet now wants to harness that "fanatical" element and give the Wearside public something to be proud of.
The Uruguayan said: "Looking at Sunderland from afar, the first thing that came into my head was the fans - they are mad about football and they will die for the club.
"We need to give them something.
"I can't promise a cup or a trophy, because it would be silly to promise, but we will try.
"We will ensure that they feel proud of the team.
"They go to the ground to see something nice. They pay for the tickets and need to see something. We need to make sure we give them everything.
"They love their club, they are mad and I love that. That's the way I grew up - going into a stadium in Uruguay, jumping up and down in the corner. You become fanatics.
"I can see myself in the same position as them."
Let me entertain you: Will the new boss be Sunderland fans' cup of tea?
Michael Regan
 Poyet was given a Man of the Match award by Sunderland fans in December 1999, after a Chelsea side he played in was hammered 4-1 on Wearside.
He recalled: "It goes down as one of my worst experiences as a player! We were 4-0 down at halftime. It was one of the worst halftimes of my career.
"The Stadium of Light is not the nicest place to be when you're losing.
"Then they said I was man of the match for the away team and wanted me to collect an award. I was hiding, to avoid it! How could I be Man of the Match after we lost!"
Poyet, who Sunderland say had been a "keen spectator" during the last two home games, wants to build a tough foundation at home like he had at Brighton.
He said: "The key to a strong home record is the connection between the players and the fans. From what I've seen, there is a great connection and great atmosphere at the Stadium of Light."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sunderlands-new-manager-gus-poyet-2358260#ixzz2hOlirlET

No comments:

Post a Comment