Pages

bet365

Tuesday 8 October 2013

England's James Milner admits he dreads missing a World Cup being hosted by Brazil

England's James Milner admits he dreads missing a World Cup being hosted by Brazil

Atmosphere at June friendly in Rio convinced midfielder it will be "a great tournament. The people eat, breathe and sleep football"
Joy of six: Milner is eager to secure back to back wins - and a trip to Brazil
Joy of six: Milner is eager to secure back to back wins - and a trip to Brazil
Michael Regan - The FA
James Milner says England’s players cannot bear the thought of watching the world’s biggest football carnival on TV.
Victories at Wembley over Montenegro on Friday and Poland four days later will seal a place at next year’s World Cup finals in Brazil.
And Manchester City midfielder Milner admitted the prospect of NOT being at the Samba nation’s football party is driving the Three Lions on.
“Playing against Brazil last summer you could see what a great tournament it will be by the atmosphere we sampled during that game,” said Milner.
“The Brazilian people eat, breathe and sleep football. We saw that for ourselves last summer. So it’s a World Cup that no-one wants to miss.
“We’ve put ourselves in a great position. I think if we’d been offered the chance of winning our last two home games to qualify at the start of the campaign, we’d have taken it.
“I’ve been lucky enough to play in a European Championship and a World Cup. It would be great to add another major tournament to that list.”
Milner started England’s last World Cup qualifier, a 0-0 draw with Ukraine in Kiev, and has emerged as a regular member of Roy Hodgson’s squads.
But Milner, who has not started regularly for City this season, acknowledged that no player can afford to take their England place for granted.
“You always want to play well for your club and if you do it consistently you are giving yourself the best chance of playing for your country,” he said.
“Obviously I hope I’ll be part of the squad that travels to Brazil.”
On his lack of starts for City, Milner said: “It’s not possible to play in every game and there is fierce competition for places.
“But I’d obviously like to play more than I have done so far, and that’s true of any player anywhere.
“I started against Wigan and Aston Villa, but as long as the team is winning that’s the main thing.
“I just have to make an impact when I do play and make sure I take my chance, try to play my part and influence games when I have the opportunity.
“With the amount of games we’re playing, everyone is going to have their chances and the nature of football means there will be injuries along the way.
“I’m sure I’ll get plenty of starts and the rest is up to me.”

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/englands-james-milner-admits-dreads-2347402#ixzz2h75Fc3Wj

No comments:

Post a Comment