Wayne Rooney speaks on Manchester United, Moyes and Van Persie vs Cristiano Ronaldo
Wayne Rooney speaks on Manchester United, Moyes and Van Persie vs Cristiano Ronaldo
Striker admits he's got to knuckle down at Old Trafford after the champions refused to sell him to Chelsea in the summer window
United front: Rooney is after more success now he's staying at Old Trafford
Michael Regan
Wayne Rooney admits he has had to swallow his pride and deliver for Manchester United after being denied a move to Chelsea.
Rooney's
summer of discontent, when United refused to bend to his demand to be
allowed to leave, remains a sensitive subject for the England striker.
He snapped at a TV reporter after reaching the 200-goal mark for United with a brace in Tuesday's 4-2 Champions League win over Bayer Leverkusen, when asked if he was happy at the Old Trafford giants.
But
Rooney conceded he was forced to put his personal issues at United to
one side once it became clear he was not going to be sold to Chelsea.
"I've put my head down and worked hard and tried to do everything right," said Rooney.
"I've tried to show the right attitude. I've always felt that's a really important thing to do.
"That's paying off for me on the pitch. I feel fit and ready to do well.
"I
feel good. I've had some good training the last few weeks. It's been
stop-start with the injuries, but I've just kept my head down and worked
hard and now I've played and got some goals.
"I feel great. The
training is a bit different under the new manager - I remember it from
Everton, it's more intense. That's helping me.
"I feel good and am glad to be out playing."
Despite
his well-documented desire to leave United in the summer, Rooney
claimed he is fully behind new manager David Moyes and will give his all
in the pursuit of glory this season.
"He's a great manager and
thoroughly deserves this job because of what he did at Everton," said
former Toffees star Rooney. "It's good to work under him and hopefully
be successful together." Blue it: Chelsea wanted Rooney but Manchester United rejected their offers
Sunday Mirror Mock-up
Rooney also said there are no issues between him and Robin
van Persie, insisting he is excited about building a strike partnership
with the former Arsenal captain.
"I've seen things said over the
summer, but me and Robin are friends off the pitch," said Rooney.
"There's no problem between me and Robin at all. We're great friends and
we want to help each other and be successful.
"I think the
manager has made it clear that he wants one up and one behind, and
whatever way round that is it doesn't matter to me.
"It doesn't matter as long as one is always filling in behind and helping out the midfield.
"We've
done the work together and the times we played together last season we
did well, so hopefully we can play more together this season and do
well.
"It's different [to playing with Cristiano Ronaldo]. Ronaldo
played out wide most games and I was on the other side, out wide. We
were both playing off the front man.
"This is different with Robin. We dovetail well and try and help each other score goals." Football friend! Rooney insists he and Van Persie are mates not rivals
John Peters
After Rooney reached the 200-goal mark for United, Moyes challenged him to go on and break Sir Bobby Charlton's long-standing club record of 249.
"It's always a challenge," said Rooney. "It's a massive football club and it's amazing how long that record has stood for.
"So it's great to get to 200 goals. That's a great honour and I'm really proud of that."
During
the height of his summer of discontent over his future, Moyes told
Rooney he could become a record-breaker if he committed himself to
United.
Rooney said: "Obviously those conversations are private, but I knew it anyway.
"To
be edging closer to it [Charlton's record] is great for me. But I think
the most important thing for me was to get back playing and get among
the goals and hopefully that will put me in good stead for coming
games."
No comments:
Post a Comment