Tuesday, 26 November 2013

Arsene Wenger rules out second Thierry Henry return

Arsene Wenger rules out second Thierry Henry return

Arsene Wenger rules out second Thierry Henry return
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger on Monday ruled out signing former Gunners great Thierry Henry for a third time after the French striker began training with the club.

Henry, who now plays for American side the New York Red Bulls, and 40-year-old former midfielder Robert Pires have both been using Arsenal`s training base north of London to maintain their fitness levels.

Henry, Arsenal`s all-time leading scorer with 228 goals, rejoined the club for a loan spell in January last year, but Wenger says there are no plans to bring the 36-year-old back again.

"At the moment Thierry is invited just to practise when he can and when he wants," Wenger said.

"We have a big staff, a very competent one, and we have the right number to support the team to achieve the targets."

Wenger said the presence of Henry and Pires, both members of Arsenal`s fabled `Invincibles` side of 2003-04, had a positive impact on the members of the current squad.

"They have no real target to bring something; they just want to enjoy themselves and keep their fitness," said Wenger, whose side moved four points clear in the Premier League after beating Southampton 2-0 on Saturday.

"Usually they don`t practise with the first team because they come in and work on fitness.

"It is a little bit less competitive but when we have some room, we invite them to play with us. They integrate well (with) the spirit of the team."

Henry`s first spell in north London from 1999 to 2007 saw him win the Premier League twice, three FA Cups and reach the 2006 Champions League final, where Arsenal lost 2-1 to Barcelona. AFP ---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment