Pages

bet365

Friday 29 March 2013

'It's impossible to be gay': Robbie Rogers insists he had to retire from football after coming out

'It's impossible to be gay': Robbie Rogers insists he had to retire from football after coming out


'I was just fearful. I was very fearful how my team-mates were going to react. Was it going to change them?' says former Leeds star

'Fearful': Rogers was worried about the reaction from fans and players
'Fearful': Rogers was worried about the reaction from fans and players

Getty
Former Leeds and USA international Robbie Rogers insists he had to retire from football after coming out as gay last month.
The 25-year-old became only the second footballer in the modern era to reveal he was gay after releasing a statement on his website .
Rogers claims his sexuality had become a 'dark secret' and that he was forced to leave the game because of attitudes towards homosexuality in football.
Speaking to The Guardian, Rogers explained his decision by insisting it was 'impossible to be gay' and continue playing.
‘In football it’s obviously impossible to come out – because no-one has done it,’ he said.
‘It’s crazy and sad. I thought: ‘Why don’t I step away and deal with this and my family and be happy?’

Robbie Rogers (left)
Out the closet: Rogers is only the second player to come out as gay

PA
  ‘Imagine going to training every day and being in that spotlight? It’s been a bit of a circus anyway – but that would have been crazy. And you wouldn’t have much control because clubs are pushing you in different directions.
"I was just fearful. I was very fearful how my team-mates were going to react. Was it going to change them? Even though I’d still be the same person would it change the way they acted towards me – when we were in the dressing room or the bus?’
Rogers also admits that not only players but football fans would have treated him differently had he returned.
‘Maybe a lot of fans aren’t homophobic. But, in a stadium, sometimes they want to destroy you,’ he added.
‘I’ve thought about playing on. I might be strong enough but I don’t know if that’s really what I want.
‘I’d just want to be a footballer. I wouldn’t want to deal with the circus. Are people coming to see you because you’re gay?’ --------------- Mirror Football

Robbie, go give ur life to Jesus Christ and start living 4 God instead of making the devil happy; that my candid advice...

No comments:

Post a Comment